University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa
3190 Maile Way, Room 101
Honolulu, HI 96822
I am broadly interested in the evolutionary ecology of plants and how
plant traits are shaped by interactions with herbivores and neighboring
plants. Specifically, I am interested in how the nature and consequences
of these interactions vary across plant ontogeny.
- Barton, K. E.. 2013. Ontogenetic patterns in the mechanisms of tolerance to herbivory in Plantago. Annals of Botany 2013; doi: 10.1093/aob/mct083. PDF (273 KB)
- Koricheva, J. and K. E. Barton. 2012. Temporal changes in plant secondary metabolite production: patterns, causes and consequences. In The Ecology of Plant Secondary Metabolites: From Genes to Global Processes. Eds. G. R. Iason, M. Dicke and S. E. Hartley. Cambridge University Press.
- Boege, K., K. E. Barton, and R. Dirzo. 2011. Influence of tree ontogeny on plant-herbivore interactions. In Size and Age-Related Changes in Tree Structure and Function, Tree Physiology 4. Eds. F. C. Meinzer, B. Lachenbruch and T. E. Dawson. Springer, New York. PDF (203 KB)
- Barton, K. E. and J. Koricheva. 2010. The ontogeny of plant defense and herbivory: characterizing general patterns using meta-analysis. American Naturalist 175(4): 481-493. PDF (2.8 MB)
- Sultan, S. E., K. Barton, and A. M. Wilczek. 2009. Contrasting patterns of
transgenerational plasticity in ecologically distinct congeners. Ecology 90: 1831-1839. PDF (321 KB)
- Barton, K. E. 2008. Phenotypic plasticity
in seedling defense strategies: compensatory growth and chemical induction.
Oikos 117: 917-925. PDF (132 KB)
- Barton, K. E. 2007. Early ontogenetic patterns
in chemical defense in Plantago (Plantaginaceae): Genetic variation
and trade-offs. American Journal of Botany 94: 56-66. PDF
- Barton, K. E. and M. D. Bowers. 2006. Neighbor
species differentially alter resistance phenotypes in Plantago. Oecologia
150: 442-452. PDF (423 KB)
- Barton, K. E., N. J. Sanders, and D. M.
Gordon. 2002. The effects of proximity and colony age on interspecific
interference competition between the desert ants Pogonomyrmex barbatus
and Aphaenogaster cockerelli. American Midland Naturalist
148: 376-382. PDF (81 KB)
- Ackerly, D. D., C. A. Knight, S. B. Weiss, K. Barton
and K. P. Starmer. 2002. Leaf size, specific leaf area and microhabitat
distribution of chaparral woody plants: contrasting patterns in species
level and community level analyses. Oecologia 130: 449-457. PDF
- Sanders, N. J., K. E. Barton, and D. M.
Gordon. 2001. Long-term dynamics of the distribution of the invasive
Argentine ant, Linepithema humile, and native ant taxa in northern
California. Oecologia 127: 123-130. PDF